A legacy of lost objects -- and saved lives
Dr. Jackson claimed that his worst case was No. 1071, in which four safety pins were found bound by a tangle of wool in the esophagus of a 9-month-old baby. He kept detailed records of each case (above), including the patient's age, the type and size of swallowed objects, how long the removal took, the instruments used and whether the patient survived. An x-ray shows the location of the pins in the esophagus, and a photo shows the patient before the procedure. In her new book, Swallow, on Dr. Jackson's career and collection of aspirated items on display at the Mütter Museum, author Mary Cappello said she was "intrigued and fascinated" by his expertise and the fact that he saved so many lives.
Photos courtesy of The New Press/Mary Cappello. from the Collection of the Mütter Museum, The College of Physicians of Philadelphia.